The Awami League, which has called eight days of nation-wide general strikes in the past three weeks, is planning a grand rally in Dhaka next month to woo support for its campaign.
"The campaign will continue unless the government of Khaleda Zia resigns for an early election," Abdul Jalil, Awami's general secretary, told a pre-march rally of some 10,000 people.
"It has lost every right to stay in power, as it (has) failed to give security to the people and even foreign diplomats."
Dozens of people have been killed and several hundred injured in a series of unexplained bomb blasts in recent years.
At least 23 people were killed and over 150 injured in the deadliest grenade attack so far, on an Awami League rally in Dhaka on August 21, from which former prime minister and Awami League chief Sheikh Hasina was lucky to escape unhurt.
Last May, British High Commissioner to Bangladesh Anwar Choudhury was injured along with more than 50 others, when a grenade attack killed three people at a Muslim Shrine in the north-eastern town of Sylhet.
The government says the attacks are being investigated.
Abdul Mannan Bhuiyan, secretary general of the ruling Bangladesh Nationalist Party said on Saturday that the government would not bow to the protesters' demands and quit.
"We will not resign even a day before completing our term and the election will be held as scheduled at the end of 2006," Bhuiyan told reporters.
Police said Saturday's march had been largely peaceful.
"There was no untoward incident," a police officer said.
Protesters, some carrying empty pitchers to symbolise their complaint, also blasted the government for failing to provide adequate utilities including power and water, disruptions in the supply of which have been frequent over the past few months.
Activists carrying banners and placards with anti-government slogans also protested against high commodity prices, which have risen by more than 10 percent in the past year.